This ham and beans formula is the most ideal approach to go through extra ham! Rich white beans cook with diced ham, vegetables and flavors to make a basic, yet absolutely fulfilling dish that makes certain to get rave audits.
Ham and beans is a solace food exemplary all things considered. It’s reasonable, generous and brimming with exquisite flavors. My rendition utilizes dried beans, and extra ham to make a feast that is an absolute group pleaser. Add a side of cornbread and supper is served!
HOW DO YOU MAKE HAM AND BEANS?
Start by drenching a pound of dry white beans for the time being. Saute onions, carrots and celery in a huge pot, then, at that point add the beans, a ham bone or sell, and a collection of spices and flavors. Bring to a stew, and cook until the beans are delicate. Mix in cleaved ham and cook for around 10 minutes more, then, at that point season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
DO YOU HAVE TO SOAK BEANS?
It isn’t totally important to douse your dry beans before you use them. That being said, I like to douse my beans for this specific dish. Ordinarily, beans that have been doused cook more rapidly than beans that have not been splashed. This issue here in light of the fact that we need the beans to get delicate, however we don’t need the vegetables to overcook. So for this situation, I do suggest doing the douse on the off chance that you have the opportunity.
- 1 pound dry white beans such as Great Northern
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup onion diced
- 2 large carrots peeled, halved and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 ham bone or ham hock
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups diced ham
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- Place the beans in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Soak for 8 hours or overnight.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery and cook for 5-6 minutes or until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Return the soaked beans to the pot.
- Place the ham bone, thyme, rosemary, brown sugar and bay leaf in the pot.
- Pour the water into the pot and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 60-90 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Discard the bay leaf and herb sprigs.
- Discard the ham bone. Stir in the diced ham. If you’re using a ham hock, remove the hock, cut the meat off the bone and return the meat to the pot.
- Cook for another 10-15 minutes, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with parsley, then serve.
Calories: 378kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 431mg | Potassium: 120mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 637IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 1mg