This Green Enchilada Casserole is rich, fantastic and layered with chicken, quinoa and green chiles swimming in a lively salsa verde sauce.
It’s a simple and sound Mexican chicken dish that is heated in the broiler until the cheddar is liquefied and the edges are a firm brilliant brown.
You all skill I feel about Mexican food. Tacos, burritos, bowls, goodness my! What’s more, who could disregard past enchiladas rolled and soaked in a Mexican-flavored pureed tomatoes?
The mystery is the new and energetic twist from hand crafted salsa-verde-like enchilada sauce with new tomatillos (you know – those green, tacky tomatoes you generally see at the market, however never realize how to manage them).
- 10 tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 jalapeños, deseeded, (1-2 depending on how spicy you want it)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- A handful of fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ lime, juiced
- ½ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 medium chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 1 block (8-ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 3 cups enchilada sauce
- 12 flour tortillas
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream, optional topping
- diced avocado, optional topping
- chopped cilantro, optional topping
- For the Enchilada Sauce: Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, add tomatillos, onion, and jalapeño. Drizzle with olive oil and gently rub each ingredient. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the tomatillos are tender and golden.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a blender, add roasted tomatillos, yellow onion, 1 jalapeño (reserve 1 jalapeño and taste test before adding the 2nd), salt, cumin, garlic powder, fresh cilantro leaves, lime juice, and broth, then blend until smooth. Taste test for more salt and more spice once blended.
- For Enchiladas: In a medium bowl, mix together shredded chicken, green chiles, cream cheese, quinoa, and ½ cup enchilada sauce. Mix together until creamy.
- At the bottom of a casserole dish, add ¼ cup of enchilada sauce and spread evenly. Layer in 2-3 tortillas, 1 cup of quinoa chicken mixture, ½ cup enchilada sauce, and ½ cup of cheese. Repeat layers until the casserole dish is full. Top the top layer with cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and bubbly.
- Top with a drizzle of sour cream, diced avocado and chopped cilantro.
- Notes: Poach and shred the chicken ahead of time, if desired. The chicken will keep best in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
NUTRITION PER SERVING
Serving Size – 8
Calories – 622
Carbohydrate – 50g
Cholesterol – 107mg
Fiber – 7g
Protein – 33g
Fat – 32g
Saturated Fat – 17g
Trans Fat – 0g
Unsaturated Fat – 0g
Sodium – 795mg
Sugar – 2g