This black bean soup is a zesty blend of beans and vegetables, simmered together to make a thick and hearty meal. Add your favorite toppings and you’ll have an easy and healthy dinner option that’s sure to get rave reviews!
I love a hot bowl of soup on a cold day. Some of my favorite soup recipes include chicken and rice soup, cabbage soup and this simple yet satisfying black bean soup.
My local Mexican restaurant makes the best black bean soup. I decided to recreate the recipe at home with great success! This soup is thick with plenty of beans and veggies, and I love serving it with a little sour cream, cheese and tortilla strips on top.
HOW DO YOU MAKE BLACK BEAN SOUP?
Start by cooking together onions, garlic, red bell peppers and jalapeno peppers. Once the veggies are tender, add a variety of spices to the pot along with canned black beans and chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes. Remove half of the soup and puree it in a blender or food processor. Return the puree to the pot; this will help thicken the soup. Next, stir in some lime juice and cilantro for a bright and fresh flavor. Add your favorite toppings, then serve and enjoy.
ARE BLACK BEANS HEALTHY?
Black beans are loaded with nutrition and make a great addition to any healthy diet. They contain vitamins and minerals including calcium, zinc, potassium, Vitamin B6 and folate. Black beans also contain a lot of fiber and protein, which helps you feel full.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup onion finely diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper seeded, cored and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeds and ribs removed, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or more to taste
- 4 15 ounce cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves chopped
- assorted toppings such as sour cream, cheese and tortilla strips
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and jalapeno pepper, then cook for 5-7 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, black beans and chicken broth to the pot. Bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 15 minutes. Remove half of the bean and broth mixture and place in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Stir the puree back into the pot. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes or until soup has thickened to your desired consistency.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired. Stir in the lime juice and cilantro. Serve immediately, with assorted toppings as desired.
Calories: 407kcal | Carbohydrates: 82g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 760mg | Potassium: 1422mg | Fiber: 29g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1312IU | Vitamin C: 61mg | Calcium: 108mg | Iron: 8mg