Mexican chicken and rice is a one-pot meal loaded with flavor. Marinated chicken thighs simmer together with healthy vegetables, black beans, and tender long grain rice. A tasty Mexican recipe with a balance of protein, fiber, and carbohydrates for a satisfying family-friendly dinner.
It very well may be a test during the rushed week of work to get a reasonable and quality supper on the supper table. Fortunately, I’ve been doing some testing and made a Mexican chicken and rice formula that preferences extraordinary, but on the other hand is not difficult to get ready. In case you’re similar to me, limiting the quantity of dishes to wash is great. This formula joins three primary fixings; sauteed chicken thighs, steamed vegetables, prepared rice, and cooks them all together.
The chicken is marinated first in quite a while like cumin, coriander, paprika, and flavors to launch flavor improvement. The secret to nailing chicken and rice that has delicious meat and delicate grains is utilizing a couple of cooking procedures in stages like searing, sauteing, and braising. Relax, it’s not difficult to do and I’ll walk you through the cycle.
How to make chicken and rice
- Marinate the chicken for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Pan-fry the chicken to brown and crisp the skin.
- Saute the uncooked rice in oil to give a toasted flavor and help the grains stay separate once cooked.
- Bring the stock to a boil then reduce to a simmer to gently cook the rice, vegetables, and chicken.
- Keep the lid covered so the ingredients can fully cook. The rice absorbs the hot liquid, the vegetables steam, and the chicken braises.
- Recrisp the chicken skin by broiling it in the oven for a few minutes at the end of cooking.
Mexican chicken and rice is a one-pot meal loaded with flavor. Marinated chicken thighs simmer together with healthy vegetables, black beans, and rice.
- Prep Time 30 mins
- Cook Time 35 mins
- Total Time 1 hr 5 mins
- Servings 6 servings
- Course Entree
- Cuisine Mexican
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 pieces chicken thighs, bone-in, skin on
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups long grain rice
- ½ cup diced white onion, ¼-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, ¼-inch dice
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup black beans, canned, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup diced zucchini, ¼-inch dice
- ½ cup diced carrots, ¼-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- 1 limes, cut into wedges
- In a small bowl whisk together ¼ cup olive oil, 1 ½ teaspoons salt, paprika, cumin, coriander, and black pepper.
- Pour marinade over chicken set in a baking dish and flip to evenly coat, marinate for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, and 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the chicken skin-side down and cook until skin is golden and crispy, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Flip and saute another 2 minutes, transfer chicken to a clean plate.
- If using a Dutch oven to cook the chicken, carefully drain the fat, wash and dry the pan.
- Heat over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons oil. Once the oil is hot, add the rice and saute, stirring occasionally until the grains are lightly toasted.
- Add in onion and garlic, saute until aromatics are fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Add in tomato paste, stir to combine and cook 30 seconds.
- Add in diced tomatoes, corn, black beans, zucchini, carrots, jalapeno, and 1 teaspoon salt, stir to combine.
- Add chicken pieces on top of the rice mixture.
- Slowly pour in the chicken stock, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- If desired, transfer chicken to a sheet pan and broil until skin is crispy 3 to 5 minutes.
- Season rice with salt as desired and garnish with cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
- 9×13-Inch Baking Dish
- Dutch Oven
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts can be substituted. Cook for 2 minutes on each side before adding to the rice.
- Mexican Chicken and Rice
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 430Calories from Fat 135
- % Daily Value*
- Fat 15g23%
- Saturated Fat 2g10%
- Sodium 1059mg44%
- Potassium 425mg12%
- Carbohydrates 66g22%
- Fiber 5g20%
- Sugar 3g3%
- Protein 8g16%
- Vitamin A 2130IU43%
- Vitamin C 12.5mg15%
- Calcium 51mg5%
- Iron 2.2mg12%