Easy Yogurt Marinated Chicken! Made with chicken thighs (or chicken breasts) that have been soaked in a Greek yogurt based marinade that’s brimming with earthy spices, and a fresh lemon-herb flavor.
You can never have too many marinade plans to truly redesign chicken. This center eastern style chicken marinade is made with sound fixings that all meet up so well. It is perhaps my most recent top pick with it’s ideal mix of tang, all around prepared zest flavor, hint of garlic, and a last overhaul of cilantro.
Likewise with pretty much any marinade, it’s a snap to get ready and it truly takes plain chicken to an unheard of level. Ideal for a speedy weeknight supper or an end of the week family grill with all your number one summer sides.
You should go through certain veggies on the barbecue while you have the chicken going as well, or pair it with my go-to veggie couscous formula.
- To keep the exterior of the chicken from drying out, you can baste with a little olive oil while cooking.
- If using chicken breasts, pound them to an even thickness before beginning, or if they are very large just slice in half through their thickness (reduce cook time as needed).
- Keep in mind cook times vary based on size of chicken pieces used, grill temp, outdoor temp, etc.
- Use an instant read thermometer to test for doneness (to 165 in center of thickest portion) rather than guessing or cutting into the chicken. It’s the most accurate option. I love my Thermapen if you are looking for a high quality thermometer.
- Let chicken rest a few minutes off heat before cutting into it to allow juices to redistribute (I usually just plan this to be the time it takes for everyone to plate their meal).
A serious flavor upgrade for chicken! Made with chicken thighs (or chicken breasts) that have been soaked in a Greek yogurt based marinade that’s brimming with earthy spices, and a fresh lemon-herb flavor.
- Prep 20 minutes
- Cook 15 minutes
- Marinating 1 hour
- 2/3 cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice + 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt and freshly ground black pepper (can adjust to taste)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for serving
- 2 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 7 thighs), or chicken breasts (about 5)
- In a mixing bowl whisk together yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, paprika, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, salt, pepper and cilantro.
- Place chicken in a gallon size resealable freezer bag. Pour yogurt marinade over chicken.
- Seal bag while pressing excess air out. Rub marinade evenly over chicken.
- Let rest in fridge at least 2 hours (or up to 8 hours for breasts, 24 hours for thighs).
- Preheat a gas grill to 425 degrees. Clean grill grates and lightly brush with oil (using a balled up oiled paper towel and long tongs).
- Grill chicken until cooked through (165 on an instant read thermometer in center of thickest portion) about 5 to 7 minutes per side.
- Note that if you’d like to keep exterior of chicken from drying you can brush lightly with olive oil halfway through grilling.
- Yogurt Marinated Chicken
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 231Calories from Fat 99
- % Daily Value*
- Fat 11g17%
- Saturated Fat 3g19%
- Trans Fat 1g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 142mg47%
- Sodium 474mg21%
- Potassium 432mg12%
- Carbohydrates 3g1%
- Fiber 1g4%
- Sugar 1g1%
- Protein 29g58%
- Vitamin A 272IU5%
- Vitamin C 3mg4%
- Calcium 51mg5%
- Iron 2mg11%