Slow Cooker Pot Roast is the ultimate comfort food! It’s a super hearty, deliciously flavorful meal in one that’s sure to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters.
I’ve been making slow cooker pot broil for as far back as I can recollect. Be that as it may, to start with I was doing it all off-base.
We’ve all had the very simple, lethargic sluggish cooker broil that skirts the carmelizing, however when you attempt it seared you’ll never think back!
Another slip-up was utilizing onion powder and garlic powder instead of the genuine article. Those have their place however not here. The new onion and garlic thus much character.
What’s more, have you at any point attempted simmering pot broil with new spices? It’s such a great deal better compared to dried so it merits the lavish expenditure. You can frequently even think that they are packaged together in a mixed bundle.
Then, at that point, to wrap things up the vegetables. I was continually adding potatoes in shapes and utilizing Russet potatoes. How does that turn out eventually? Potato soup! Rather utilize a waxier a potato (Yukons) and keep the potatoes entirety. Then, at that point, cut them up toward the end in the event that you’d like, or simply serve them entire nobody will mind.
Everybody will be too bustling relishing each chomp to think often about the potato size subtleties. This is a definitive pot broil formula! Basic fixings yet layers of rich, fulfilling flavor.
Slow Cooker Pot Roast is the ultimate comfort food! It’s a super hearty, deliciously flavorful meal in one that’s sure to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters. This is just classic, homestyle, stick to your ribs good food made with basic, real ingredients. Plus it’s the best thing to come home to, cooked and ready to eat, after a long day.
Prep 25 minutes
Cook 8 hours
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 (3 lb) chuck roast*
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled, halved and cut into thick slices
- 5 garlic cloves, minced (1 1/2 Tbsp)
- 1 1/4 cups cup beef broth
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh rosemary
- 2.5 lbs small yukon gold potatoes, left whole
- 5 medium carrots (about 1 lb), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces*
- 2 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with 3 Tbsp beef broth, optional, for thickening gravy
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Dab roast dry with paper towels, season all over with salt and pepper.
- Sear roast in pot until browned on both sides, about 4 – 5 minutes per side. Transfer roast to slow cooker.
- Add remaining 1/2 Tbsp olive oil to pot. Add onion and saute 2 minutes, add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer. Pour onion mixture over roast in slow cooker.
- Return pot to heat, pour in beef broth, Worcestershire, thyme and rosemary and cook about 15 seconds, just long enough to scrape up browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Remove from heat.
- Layer potatoes and carrots over onion layer in slow cooker, pour beef broth evenly over top then season with salt and pepper.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low heat until roast and vegetables are tender, about 8 – 9 hours.
- Remove roast and vegetables, shred roast (discard fat) and cut potatoes if desired.
- If you’d like to thicken the broth and make a gravy, pour broth from slow cooker through a fine mesh strainer into a small saucepan**. Heat over medium-high heat. Whisk cornstarch with 3 Tbsp beef broth then pour into saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, let simmer 30 – 60 seconds.
- Plate roast and vegetables, pour gravy over the top and sprinkle with parsley.
- Thicker carrots will work better here. They won’t get too soft.
- I like to measure first to to see if I have the correct amount so I know if it will thicken properly, there should be 2 cups liquid, if you need more just stir in a little more beef broth to reach the correct amount. I also like to skim the extra fat from the top of the liquid. If you don’t care to measure first you can always thin with a little broth if needed or thicken with a little extra cornstarch/broth mixture.
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 600Calories from Fat 270
- % Daily Value*
- Fat 30g46%
- Saturated Fat 12g75%
- Cholesterol 156mg52%
- Sodium 453mg20%
- Potassium 1791mg51%
- Carbohydrates 34g11%
- Fiber 6g25%
- Sugar 3g3%
- Protein 45g90%
- Vitamin A 8685IU174%
- Vitamin C 30.5mg37%
- Calcium 133mg13%
- Iron 11.6mg64%