Peanut Butter Blossoms are a thick and chewy peanut butter cookie with a big chocolate kiss on top. We have perfected this recipe from years of experience and we’re sharing our tips for the perfect holiday cookie!
I have been making these treats for as far back as I can recall. My mother has been making this formula since secondary school, which implies it’s been in our family for a considerable length of time! We have attempted different plans and tasted treats that others have made, yet this formula consistently finishes out as the best Peanut Butter Blossom formula!
Not at all like some different plans I’ve attempted, this treat comes out thick and chewy, not level and spread out. The chocolate kiss holds it’s shape however remains delicate when you chomp into it. It truly is the ideal treat!
BAKING TIPS FOR MAKING PEANUT BUTTER BLOSSOMS
- Prep all of your ingredients ahead of time; this helps the cookie baking process go smoothly.
- While the cookies are in the oven for their initial baking, begin unwrapping the Hershey kisses so they are ready when the cookies come out of the oven.
- Use real butter. We have tried swapping out for margarine or shortening and the results are just not the same.
- Don’t overbake. If anything you will want to slightly underbake these cookies (or at least it may look that way). Otherwise they can become hard and not soft and chewy. Once you add the chocolate, watch them closely and check them at the 2 minute mark. The chocolate should move slightly when you lightly press on the tip, but not look burnt.
- Keep the balls of dough to a uniform size, using a small cookie scoop (2 teaspoons) or a medium cookie scoop (1.5 tablespoons). Keep in mind that the small the cookie, the better the cookie to chocolate ratio will be; you want to be able to get that sweet chocolate in every bite! The optimal size would be using two scoops from the small cookie scoop.
Peanut Butter Blossoms are a classic peanut butter cookie that’s thick and chewy with a big chocolate kiss on top.
PREP TIME 15 mins
COOK TIME 10 mins
TOTAL TIME 25 mins
SERVINGS 36 cookies
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup granulated sugar for rolling
- 3 dozen milk chocolate candy kisses
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Sift together flour, soda and salt and set aside.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment (or by hand), beat together softened butter and peanut butter until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add sugars and beat until well blended.
- Beat in egg and vanilla until well blended.
- Stir in flour mixture just until incorporated. Form into 1-inch balls using about a tablespoon of dough for each. Roll in granulated sugar and place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350° for 8 minutes then remove from the oven and gently place a chocolate kiss on top of each cookie until it cracks around the edges.
- Bake 2-3 minutes more until golden.
- Cool for several minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
- Store cooled cookies in an air-tight container for up to 3 days for maximum flavor and texture. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- When putting the cookie back into the oven with the kisses on top, watch closely. Do not let the chocolate burn, but you want it to get almost to that point. 2-3 minutes is usually perfect, but can vary by oven.